I mentioned this chair a while back. It’s inspired by Alabama Chanin, and I got the idea from SouleMama.
That’s a whole lot of inspiration goin’ ’round.
It started with a chair. If you’re a complete dork like me, you’ll forget to take a picture of what the chair originally looked like before you started painting it. So just picture a chair, with no bottom. No seat. Very sad. Instead of throwing the chair out, I kept it for years, not knowing what to do with it. When I saw SouleMama’s post, I knew I had found the answer to the chair problem.
All you need is an old chair, some t-shirts, and testicular fortitude! Well, okay, you don’t need the testicular fortitude, but it may come in handy.
First, paint your chair. Unless you don’t want to. Then don’t. I only painted the bottom of the chair, and left the back unpainted. Not because I was trying to start a trend, but because the chair back was damaged beyond my ability to repair.
I painted the chair this loverly blue color, then globbed on a coat of thin white paint overtop. I did some scuffing with fine grit sandpaper to make it look worn and shabby.
For the actual seat itself, grab those tee shirts (or sweatpants, I won’t judge) I mentioned earlier. Cut the seams and hems off.
Before cutting the material into strips, stretch out your fabric. It should stretch quite a bit in one direction, and not so much in the other. You want to cut the strips in the direction that the fabric stretches. So, if your fabric stretches from here to Arkansas lengthwise, cut your strips lengthwise. Got it? Cut the strips about ½ inch to 1 inch wide.
When you have a somewhat massive pile of strips that’s threatening to take over your house, you’re ready. I cut up 5 or 6 adult shirts and a pair of sweatpants. That was overkill, you only need about half that much.
And then…weave! I’m not going to tell you exactly how to tie on your strips and then weave them, because it’s really self explanatory. Tie your strips of cloth to your chair in one direction, then weave them over-and-under in the other direction. That be it, folks.
You can see in this photo where I screwed up and wove two blue strips exactly the same – but that’s all right. Nobody gets it right the first time, and imperfections only add to the chair’s charm.
The last step was to have the Mr. cut the back off the chair, and touch up the paint. The entire project took about 6 hours total – 4 hours to paint, including drying times; and 2 hours to weave. The chair does indeed support an adult’s weight, in case you’re wondering.
And on one final note, I will say this: I would be lying if I said the entire project was not fueled by large amounts of coffee. And Stone Temple Pilots.